My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

10.7.08

Vice

Everyone has days where they crave spending their day in their jammies, stewing in their own filth, and watching bad TV. In fact, I think it should be mandatory for everyone's sanity. Call it a "mental health" day or a "bum" day (as K calls it), but I think everyone should embrace this desire--beyond that, everyone should put this desire into action. Often, I think it is the only release that keeps us moving at 90 miles an hour the rest of the time; it enables the speed of the rest of our lives.

I am a big advocate of self-care: mental, psychological, emotional, creative, and intellectual (and I'm working on the physical part). There are points of the quarter where the very thought of standing in front of 20-28 students is literally unbearable. Not because they are bad or crap students, but because the sheer weight of this performance makes me just want to, well...sleep. Is it so bad to "cave in" to this type of anxiety, or is it just a part of us that we often ignore and plow through when we should honor it? I don't know, but I lean toward the former.

Sometimes, I think we have to accept those parts of ourselves that, at times, makes us less productive people. Although we are less productive in those moments, I do believe that allowing these "bum" moments allows us to be more productive in the long haul. And who cares?? It's one day of stewing, self-indulgent bliss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home