My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

30.4.08

Bloatation

I am a little apprehensive to admit this, but I have started the South Beach Diet. I have never believed in nor subscribed to any form of diet or dieting before (other than the standard: be good, don't eat too much shit; or, drink wine for dinner and eat well the rest of the day), but I agreed to do this to be supportive of my roomie and friend, Mel, and I wanted to be supportive of K's decision to quit smoking by giving up something that is hard/almost impossible for me to live without: carbs. What I like about South Beach is that you eliminate processed carbs and fruit for the first 2 weeks, but you can indulge in lean meats, cheeses, and tons and tons of veggies--emphasis on veggies. Then after, the first two weeks, you reintegrate whole grains and fruit. So far, so good, except that I miss my fruit!! I did not weigh myself before starting, and I don't plan on weighing myself after, since I think that such behavior leads to manic self-attacks--and this is really, truly not about my weight. Rather, I'm just going to do it and see how I *feel*: how does my body feel? mind? spirit? head? I can say that I have already noticed that I am distinctly less bloated. I mean, I never knew I was bloated until I was not longer so, if that gives you an idea. Egg whites, celery, tuna, chicken, turkey, goat cheese, and nuts have now taken over my roomate's and my fridge, and this gives me confidence that the diet is not as whacky as it could be.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the "South Beach" diet. Apart from the first two weeks, it really isn't too bad!

30.4.08  
Blogger Red Headed Devil said...

mmmmmm salty nuts

1.5.08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The move has made it impossible to cook for the last few days, which has meant we're eating much to much processed food. can't wait to get back to normal so we can eat whole grains and other real foods. you'll likely *feel* more energy and generally *lighter* (spiritually, etc). I have given up the scale, I know it's time to get back to basics when my suits and pants feel snug.
Enjoy the healthiness!

1.5.08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home