My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

15.4.08

Ramble On

As I zip about the campus, teaching, going to meetings, collecting books for a book drive I'm fronting, meeting students, and prepping my classes, I have found a little oasis in the mad spin. There's a coffee and self-proclaimed "munchy" spot on campus where Flo (at least, I like to think that's her name) serves the most basic and brilliant cup of coffee. When I go in, her false-teeth flash as she smiles and greets me with a "Hi, darlin!" I rustle up my coffee, and whatever utensils I need to eat my yogurt or tuna salad (I bring my lunch but inevitably and daily I forget my utensils), and head to the counter. She is always, always playing the Righteous Brothers, Roy Orbison, The Beach Boys, Van Morrison, Stevie Wonder...and it is, magically, soothing. There's something steady about this little ritual and its attendant rhythm, and Flo and her tunes form the crux of this peaceful spot in my day. No matter what else is going on, there she is, right as rain; when she says, "have a good day, dear," little does she know that now, it will be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home