My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

15.4.08

Playing catch up

Ah, what a delight is my life here!

I'm working--a lot. It's good, though, so don't get me wrong. My students are fantastic and motivated, and I haven't taught a group like them in some time. I feel grateful for these small things.

I met up with an old high school acquaintance last weekend. But first, let me digress.... Last Saturday was PHENOMENAL. It was in the 70s here (some say it got up to 83 degrees) with clear, azure skies, and K and I spent the whole day and night out doors. Had we spent it any other way, I think we would have both been sorely disappointed.

First, I met up with my former high school pal, Shin Yu Pai, at GREEN LAKE where, with my parasol in hand, we caught up and walked around the gorgeous perimeter (along with a few hundred of others). Turns out, she is a prolifically published poet and had gotten my email address from my dear friend, Alaska, when she was in Riverside doing a reading. Anywho, she now lives in Seattle with her hubby, who's an acupuncturist. It also turns out that we have similar views on graduate school, critical theory, and the failures of most academic methodologies. Good times.

Then, I flitted off to GAS WORKS, a park on the banks of Lake Union. K and I joined a barbecue with some fun folks. Soccer balls were tossed, children were toddling about, and we l o u n g e d. Before the sun started to set, we headed back to K's place, changed, and went over to Golden Gardens, where we joined a bonfire-in-progress and watched the sun set over the OLYMPICS. After dark, someone set a christmas tree on fire, much to all of our delight (our = hundreds of people on the beach). After the hurrah from the burned tree, I went and sat down by the Sound's quiet, lapping waves (really, it was to escape the group of early 20-somethings in the space next to our bonfire, who were playing guitar and singing mid-90s pop tunes that should be left in their time--oi). So, down by the water (PJ Harvey just clicked into my head), with the sound of those most rhythmic lapping waves, I started to doze off, despite the fact that there was a man to my left and a man to my right who were pissing in the Sound. Ah, well, nothing else exists when gentle dozing does.

Now, we have returned to drizzle and 37 degrees, but I have been given a preview of what's to come in June and beyond. I can't wait.

**(the photos are, of course, all stock. see? that's why I need that Canon Powershot!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

I'm excited about your job ..where are you teaching? And god....freakin' lucky students....they have the best Dr. in the world!Lucky school too!!!!!

17.4.08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home