My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

18.6.09

Gym Rat

I never thought I'd become a gym rat, but gaining 15 lbs in a handful of months has prompted me to sign up with a personal trainer. Yep! I will see a trainer, a former student of mine, at LA Fitness two times a month for a year. I had my first session yesterday and can barely walk! Ha ha. You don't realize how out of shape you are until that kind of ass-kicking. While there were some things I couldn't do because my toe is still healing, it was a great workout.

Part of what spurred this decision is my new job. I am completely sedentary and alone most of the day. This is a little depressing, to be honest. The job is good, I am totally happy with it, but I wish I at least had a cat to play with, so I don't feel so alone and isolated during the day. I was really busy earlier this week and didn't come out of my apartment for almost 3 days (between the toe and my work load). That was a drag. I bought one of those large exercise balls--the ones you can do crunches on--and use that as my chair. I bounce about, my back doesn't hurt, and I work my core whether I'm aware of it or not. I also find that I occasionally do some sit ups on it--just for fun. Heh.

So, going to my trainer, who is setting up a workout plan for me to do and check off in my little book each day, will get me out of the apartment. Walking to the library at lunch, watering my proliferating herbs and tomato plant, and going out with girls in the evening (since the sun doesn't set until 9:30/10) will keep me balanced, I think.

Another thing that bothers me a little is the micromanaging that goes with office jobs. I am NOT used to this kind of management, so this will take some adjustment. I am used to my employer saying, "okay, you have the experience and expertise, now go to it, and I'll see you when you turn in your grades in 10 weeks." Very different. But I do like it, over all, and am grateful for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home