My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

12.1.09

January 12th

It's been 20 years today since my Dad died.

What do I miss about him?
His whole-body laugh.
Him playing guitar and singing out of tune.
Him driving me to my Mom's and listening to/singing along with The Beatles.
The way he smelled, like Old Spice, Polo, and Dad.
The way his mouth laid wide open, arms were flung and sprawled, and glasses askew when he slept.
The way he would lecture me about not eating enough vegetables (ah, the irony).
His persona as a tough guy, when really he had 45's of "We are the World" and "Hands Across America."
His obsession with Al Pacino.

I miss him; it doesn't get any easier.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember you coming into school wearing his ballcap the Monday morning after. Of course you miss him, but remember him as you pluck your banjo, and also remember that you are his opus. The very best part of him.
Love ya, Wess

13.1.09  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home