Monster
It's official: I made a student cry in class today.
I explained to the class, as I prepared to hand back their last essay, that not doing what an instructor asks of you not only automatically fails you on an assignment, but it is also a sign of disrespect, as if what the instructor is asking you to do is not worth your time.
She is very sweet and a great writer, but she was one of the students who did not do what was asked of her--the basics of the assignment. She stayed after and started crying and told me she didn't mean to disrespect me. I gave her a revision option.
Ugh. I feel like a bit of a monster, but at least she will probably not ever do that to any future instructors!


2 Comments:
I am soooooo glad I am not in your class! Ha!
Don't let it bother you too much, Miss Carousel. As I recall, I made a student cry during the very first batch of papers I ever handed back. Some kids are just a little more delicate than others. Only feel guilty when you ask the child to hold it in for a moment while you rummage about for a mason jar in which to catch "their sweet despair." Then and only then should you feel guilt.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home