My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

10.7.06

Holding a Center




I seem to be struggling with holding a center for myself. I think it has a lot to do with the postponement of my move to L.A. (for reasons beyond Cheryl and my control) and the impending and ominous disbandment of my core friend group. Jessica K leaves for Toronto at the end of August. Jesse leaves for Jordan in August. AW leaves for L.A. at the end of this month. D leaves for the Bay Area in October. I could whine here, but I will refrain, except to say that I will miss these folks with every fiber of my being.

I found a back-issue of Vogue from earlier in the year with Sienna Miller on the cover--one of my new favorite celebs. Somehow, this small thing has delighted me. Jessica K's birthday pool party occured yesterday and I remember the sheer abandon of pool play when I was a kid and it is still as much fun as it was then. I keep thinking of things in "lasts": the last time we will all be together for an event, the last movie I'll see with ___, the last camping trip with D (coming up in August), the last few weeks of having my best friends live just up the street. I am trying really hard not to think this way but at times it is hard not to.

So! I carry on with delighting in the time I do have and with optimism (or my feeble version of it) that I will not lose these friends, despite the distance.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking good!

10.7.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

< cultural studies grad student hyperbole>
Miss Carousel, "lasts" are such a symptom of millenial culture! Y2K, Last Samurai, Last Train to Clarksville... oh, wait, those last two don't count at all, do they?
< / cultural studies grad student hyperbole>

We definitely need to hang out a couple more times while it's still convenient, but I have a hunch we'll be seeing each other at conferences and such for an awfully long time to come. So don't bring any of those "lasts" around me! I'm really sad I couldn't make it to Jessica's pool bash - it looks like you all had a beautiful time!

Do you know yet when you two are moving to LA?

12.7.06  
Blogger Miss Carousel said...

the move will most likely be postponed until january, but we haven't discussed the specifics.

I MUST SEE YOU BEFORE YOU LEAVE! i mean it. and no, i won't bring any lasts around you (i'll just keep them tucked inside my wee head) just all things good and shiny and bright. :)

12.7.06  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home