Songs for a Rainy Day
I got caught in the downpour today, and as I stood waiting for the bus in my soggy Chucks,** bopping along to tunes, I was reminded of a sweet guy I used to work with at a coffee house in Portland who knew how the constant drizzle made me a tad sad. Being the good DJ he was (is?) made me a tape called "Grandma Likes Sunny Weather" which cheered me to the bone.
So, as I stood waiting in the rain I decided to distract myself with a top five rainy day album list:
1. Belle and Sebastian, The Life Pursuit
2. Deerhoof, Apple O'
3. Broadcast, Tender Buttons
4. Billie Holiday, Solitude
5. Devendra Banhart, Rejoicing in the Hands
(**I was soggy until, lo and behold, Ryan came along and saved me with his own umbrella (at the expense of his own sogginess). Thanks, Ryan, especially because you understand how valuable a velvet coat can be to a girl!)


1 Comments:
I've always been a big fan of Kraftwerk when it rains - I think that "Computer Love" is probably the world's best rainy day song that doesn't actually feature the sound of water in it. (Aphex Twin's "On" is the very best in my opinion, but it's cheating with the water sounds.)
You did look really cute holding your little plastic folder over your head, but I couldn't imagine that coat getting ruined. Plus, walking around in the drizzle sans umbrella reminded me, oddly enough, of both Florida sunshowers and walking around in Manchester's interminable sogginess.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home