My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

12.7.09

Loving the Earf

I'm back in my Emerald City now, and am so.glad. to be home!! I was greeted at the airport by K and Jessica, who is visiting for the week. Yay!! We went down to Elliott Bay Books, where I take all of my nerdy, bookish, and delightful friends, and I indulged in my current obsession with Urban Farming, including gardening, composting, chicken raising, and--eventually--goats!

Here are the goodies I'm going to start ordering from SPL and review them as I go!

Jess bought me:
Keep Chickens by Barbara Kilarski

What I'm ordering from SPL:
Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs, and Parenting by Michael Perry

Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, a Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese
by Brad Kessler

The Urban Homestead
by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutsen

Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer
by Novella Carpenter

And some books on food and eating:
The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food, both by Michael Pollan.

Julie & Julia
by Julie Powell

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
by Barbara Kingsolver

Tender at the Bone
by Ruth Reichl

If any of you have further suggestions for urban farming or great food memoirs, please send them along to me!

4 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I really liked Animal, Vegetable, Mineral -- it's the human side of Omnivore's Dilemma for me. Yay!

12.7.09  
Blogger SF Chef said...

Epitaph for a Peach - Four Seasons on my Family Farm by David Mas Masumoto

I've heard wonderful things about it and it's currently in my "to read" pile. I'll loan it to you when I'm done. :)

13.7.09  
Blogger فرانسيس said...

My ma keeps a great blog on gardening you might like:
http://growthis.blogspot.com/
She has been getting eggs from a local lady for about a year now, and they are so freaking good. The yolks are dark orange, and they actually have flavor! Ummm. Eggs.
Have you seen Food Inc.?

13.7.09  
Blogger Miss Carousel said...

hey frances!!

thanks for your ma's blog link. i will certainly check it. i haven't et seen Food, Inc, but it's on my netflix queue.

19.7.09  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home