My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

25.10.05

Anatomical Art

I'm sure many of you have already heard about this (as I certainly have), but Slate Magazine has a recent slideshow/essay about the Body Works traveling exhibition. It's good to know I'm not the only person obsessed with innards, dissection, and tissue! Note, specifically, two things: 1. the reference and photogs from the Mutter Museum: the very museum where I had my gyno tool turn-on. 2. the artist's assertion that he is "democratizing anatomy." This is most provocative. Though I think the artists is not at all referring to race and biology, I can't help but go there.... With the removal of skin, issues of race and physical health are erased. Or are they? Also, I like the historical background on dissection, especially where it is referenced how skeletons were drawn dancing and prancing, much to the "delight" of the viewer. Again, I am continually fascinated by the (sexual?) spectacle arising out of an examination of innards.
http://www.slate.com/id/2128541/?nav=navoa

For more on this funny stuff, and in addition to Michael Sappol's _Traffic of Dead Bodies_ (as noted in the article, but I second the citation!), check out:
Armand Marie LeRoi's _Mutants_, Elisabeth Bronfen's _Over Her Dead Body_, Ruth Richardson's _Death, Dissection, and the Destitute_, and Cathy Waldby's _The Visible Human Project_.
For literary (U.S.) dealing with evisceration, dissection, and tissue in general, check out:
Sutton Grigg's _Imperio in Imperium_, Leslie Marmon Silko's _Almanac of the Dead_, John Edgar Wideman's _The Cattle Killing_, and Paul Pope's _100%_.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home