My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

10.10.06

Yippy

I saw a shirt today on campus that said, "Brainy Boys Turn Me On." I need it 'cause, well, they do!

My job letter just got the thumbs-up/go ahead from my committee. Yeah! Now, I just have to finish revising my 2nd dissertation chapter (from 38 pages to 25--the maximum length of a writing sample), and polish up my dissertation abstract and I'm ready to start sending out my applications!!!!

Most promising jobs? A 19th century American position at U of Kansas, a 19th century women's lit position at U of Kentucky, and a Science/Medicine/Lit position at Georgia Tech. If I'm lucky, I'm definitely headed to middle-America. Lucky me???

3 Comments:

Blogger فرانسيس said...

What language do they speak in Kentucky?

11.10.06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

would you be at the KU campus in Lawrence or one of the smaller ones? i've been to one of their campuses before, and from what i remember as a middle schooler, it was pretty. i just can't remember which one it was.

for being only an hour or two from the middle of the US map, Lawrence is surprisingly happening (at least from what i've heard). imagine a tinier Austin, maybe? they've got indie rock bands, independent movies, and probably still a couple independent bookstores hanging on as well. William S. Burroughs was able to put up with it for the last 20-odd years of his life, so you could probably find things to entertain yourself with as well, such as a few brainy boys... and hopefully not the same ones he did (unless you'd be into that, of course).

good luck with all of those schools!

- pinball

15.10.06  
Blogger Miss Carousel said...

pinball: thanks for the heads up on lawrence!

hope rochester is being kind to you....you should really forge the river and go visit the great white north!!

16.10.06  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home