My Photo
Name:
Location: Seattle, United States

"It's a small thing to rage inside your own bowl." --Anne Sexton

17.8.07

Jim and Kelly

Jim and Kelly's wedding was August 11th, in Tahoe, so we headed up to celebrate one of my favorite couple's happy day!

We left on Friday and traversed the infamous 395. Although it is one of the scariest roads, at times, to drive, I have to say it is one of the most beautiful schleps. It winds through Lone Pine/Mt. Whitney, Mammoth, Mono Lake, Bridgeport (this sleepy little town with a Victorian-age hotel that I remember staying in as a child), and then up the Sierras to Tahoe. It was simply gorgeous.

The wedding itself was one of the most lovely, relaxed, and well-suited to the couple I've ever attended. Unfortunately, I was sick as a dog, but I managed with Dayquil and 5 glasses of champagne. Yeah!!

Kelly was absolutely stunning in a heavily beaded, eggshell colored column dress. It was totally Kelly, totally amazing. Jimmy was dapper in a black tux and a claddagh ring, which he chose for his wedding band. The Irish contingency was there (Jim's father's side of the family came in from Ireland, and his paternal uncle, who is a Catholic priest, performed the ceremony) and they were a hoot! Our table cards had our names on the front and then either a piece of art by Jim or Kelly on the back, and then each table had a framed art image on it, so we matched our table as such. We got a Jimmy original: a wizard! Ha. Totally Jim.

Most memorable was their exchange of rings (which I have photo-documented below) and their first dance. Yes, Jim danced. They had a choreographed routine, and if you know Jim, you know he NEVER dances. But he did! And beautifully. He even boogied once the regular dance time started. We were proud.

It was truly one of the best weddings I've ever attended--perhaps it was because I'm truly happy for them, without hesitation or reservation. This is often not the case (with the exception of Jessica and Jayson's, which, as you know, I also enjoyed immensely). I wish them all good things and am looking forward to reconnecting with them once they return from 3 weeks in London, Paris, and Ireland.

Here's a small sample of photos from the wedding. Enjoy!

Here's Kelly and her Papi, coming down the aisle:



And Jimmy, shivering with anticipation:



My favorite part of the ceremony: the exchange of rings! I know they look very similar to one another, but in each one, Kelly has a different expression and it's each phase of the exchange, so bear with my sentimentalism....





Here is their recession. Please bear with the funky editing:




Pictures don't do justice to how amazing Kelly looked, but here are some close-ups of her dress:



My favorite pictures of Jim and Kelly:






It's hard not to wax emotional/philosophical when you attend a wedding where you are truly moved by the exchange of sentiments and the demonstration of a firm committment, so bear with me.... Their wedding restored my faith in the sacrament of marriage and in the concept of a wedding ceremony. I've many times said that 1. I'm not sure I ever want to marry again and 2. if I did, I don't think I want a ceremony beyond a justice of the peace. After seeing J and Ks wedding, I was reminded of the good of marriage, of the comfort of a committment, and how wonderful it is to celebrate with a bunch of people who truly love you and are happy with you. So, IF I ever remarry, I may take a ceremony (albeit a small one) into consideration.

What I do know is that I will not remarry unless I am SURE. Unless I feel it in my bones and in my gut and in every pore that it's what I want to do. I guess I am glad to have married once, and made the wrong decision, so I will at least know that I don't "have" to marry again, and if I do, it is for the right reasons.

As I sat across the lunch table from Kyle on Saturday afternoon, just before the wedding, I had an epiphany: I am SO GLAD for the decisions I have made that have led me exactly to this point, sitting at lunch with him. The things I have given up, the things I have suffered through in the past 2 years, have all led me to this really great place. For this, I am grateful.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice stuff, young woman. Good perspective on life, decisions, love, confidence, etc. You are so cool.

Scott

17.8.07  
Blogger فرانسيس said...

Great pictures, kind words. It is good to read stuff like this once in a while and be reminded that most days do not suck.

17.8.07  
Blogger Miss Carousel said...

thanks, folks!

18.8.07  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home